10.27.2016

Color Theory



My Abstract Expressionism paintings and my skin color paintings.

We did a study on our skin and color relativity. Our conversation in our classroom was on race. We explored the concept of "black and white" by painting a section of our hands onto paper. I am Caucasian and come from Swedish ancestry and found that I am much more pink, orange and red than simply "white".


Color Theory: Post your abstract expressionist paintings and skin color paintings to your blog, carefully crop and curate, your images.  Then talk about abstraction, modernism, and color theory.





These paintings were created on newsprint by using water, ink and white paint. My utensils included bristle brushes, long sticks, ink pen and small brushes. We explored the sensation of moving water around the print and combining bright white paint with jet black ink. I didn't worry about the composition of my work or the mixing of paint. The only thing I thought about was the feeling of how the medium moved on the paper.

How might a modernist view these images?

A modernist would think these paintings fit perfectly with their mindset. These paintings were inspired by Pollock's chaotic style. He found that the journey of art making was more important that the artwork itself. He changed the way that art was made. Since I painted and scratched these paintings on my table instead of a stand up easel, I changed the direction of my painting technique!



A postmodern artist might also like my paintings because they seem to rebel against traditional ways of creating art. I used sticks and ink mixed with paint to create a radical painting instead of using traditional colors and brushes. The main ideas of Post modernism are defined by a distrust and skeptical view of traditional culture, art, philosophy and history.


Ask 3 questions about your images that you might pose to your students:

1. How can I replicate this chaotic style in my artwork?
2. Why did the artist choose to use sticks instead of traditional brushes?
3.What other kinds of paintings are created through radical means?








No comments:

Post a Comment